A PhD at imec, a unique environment:
- Imec is a bridge between the university and the industry.
- You collaborate in advanced research with industrial relevance.
- You get in touch with imec’s global international partner companies.
- You work in an inspiring international environment.
- You are part of imec’s multidisciplinary research teams.
- You have access to state-of-the-art research labs and clean rooms.
Imec offers a stimulating environment to do PhD research. The world-class facilities and available expertise guarantee an unmatched support. And if you come to imec from abroad, you will find an international atmosphere, and most likely also colleagues from your home country.
Our PhD supervisors are imec employees with an assignment as a professor at a Belgian university.
WATCH THE TESTIMONIAL OF FOUR Phd STUDENTS:
WHEN TO APPLY?
We have two application windows with strict submission deadlines on June 15th and December 15th. During these application windows the imec admission office collects all incoming applications. After closure of the application window, a panel of scientists evaluates the applications and makes selections.
We currently do not accept applications. The next application window with deadline December 15th, 2015 will open mid October 2015.
HOW TO APPLY?
Carefully read and adhere to the following application procedure.
Complete the imec application for admission form and attach all documents listed below to your application email:
- Application for admission form (You will need to express your topical preference. See the list of PhD topics below)
- Completed personal statement and statement of objectives form
- Bachelor's and Master's degrees (if you have not finished your master course yet, you can submit your certificate when you graduate)
- Bachelor's and Master's transcripts (in English)
- Two evaluations: ask your referees to complete the Evaluation for Graduate Admission form for you (either print version OR electronic version) and have them send in their evaluation in PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Proof of your English language proficiency.
Please provide a copy of your TOEFL/IELTS or Cambridge English test result sheet. This requirement is waived for native English speakers and applicants who have completed their Master's degree at an institution where all courses are taught in English.
- For EU and non-EU students with a European Master's degree, we strongly recommend that you have passed the (general) GRE test.
For applicants with a non-EU Master's degree it is mandatory to add a copy of your GRE test result sheet.
Imec does not have an ETS institution code.
All these application documents must be sent in separate PDF forms to email@example.com before closure of the application window. If we have not received all required documents by the application deadline, your application will not be reviewed.
We don’t accept any revised documents or additional information after the application is submitted, so please be sure to review your application form, statement of purpose and other documents very carefully before submitting your application.
We recommend that you keep legalized copies of your Bachelor's and Master's certificate and mark sheets readily available as you will be required to send them to imec in case of acceptance to the imec doctoral program.
As our PhD students are selected based on a central application procedure and not by individual supervisors kindly refrain from contacting our professors directly.
- CMOS scaling
- Heterogeneous integration
- Electronics for healthcare and life science
- Wireless communication
- Imaging systems
- Large area flexible electronics
- Materials competence center
- Modeling competence center
- Design competence center
- Metrology & characterization competence center
If you want to apply as a PhD student, you should have a Master's degree. Further requirements may depend on your nationality and on the university that issued your Master degree. If you have a Master's degree from a non-EEA country, we might require you to take a pre-doctoral exam depending on your educational profile. A pre-doc will make your Master's degree equivalent to a Belgian Master's degree. In most cases, a pre-doctoral year consists of attending two classes, passing an exam and giving a presentation to a pre-doctoral jury.
For more information, contact us.